FLORIDA COAST TO COAST BIKE TRAIL DAY 6-FINAL DAY

    My last day!  36 miles.  80+ degrees and sunny, slight headwind.  I was real excited to get this last stretch under my belt.  In fact, at one point on the ride I called Nan to come pick me up as I would be finishing in a few minutes!  In fact, in my excitement of anticipating the end I screwed up the math and was actually at mile 26 not 36.  So never mind!  Today was the easiest ever.  There was no way of getting lost on this stretch and my legs were rearing to go.  The trail traveled through commercial areas, downtown areas and several parks in the heavily populated west coast of Florida.  This was the only time on the trip where I had to weave in and out around bikers, walkers, skaters, scooters, etc.  Although I reached Florida's west coast in Clearwater, I had to veer back inland to the trail's terminus on Tampa Bay at Demens Landing Park in St. Petersburg to complete the entire trail.

Some Clearwater art work.

    The trail was almost uneventful except for one incident.  And of course, it happened on my last day.  As I reached a 4 lane road I hit the crossing button which flashes lights to stop traffic and give me the right of way.  Both cars on my side had stopped so I proceed across the road.  On the other side of the road the car nearest to me had also stopped and the far car saw me and was coming to a stop.  Therefore, I decided to pick up the pace and get out of the way.  Just as I was passing the 3rd car the 4th car which had almost come to a full stop, gunned it almost peeling out.  I had to slam on my brakes and skidded within inches of the car.  It turned out it was a 60 or 70 year old woman.  Fortunately, she had her window down as she passed so I was able to graciously instruct her on the law as well as the location of her brain, because if she had one, it wasn't located in her head.  What a total jerk!!!  That aside; every encounter I had with every motorist, biker or other trail user was nothing other than polite and respectful.


Some St. Petersburg art work.

    Although this section of trail was not the most scenic there were many buildings along the way with paintings on their walls to entertain bikers as they passed.  It actually was pretty cool.  Most of the art was in St. Petersburg.  The stretch from Clearwater to the end of the trail offered a slight tailwind so it was smooth sailing all the way.

Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg.
The home of the Tampa Bay Rays.
The stadium marks the start of the final
mile on the trail.

    When I finally reached Demens Landing their was Nan waiting for me with a big smile and plenty of congratulations.  I was super happy to see her!

Demens Landing Park

    For me this was a huge accomplishment!  It was one that I wasn't sure I could complete with my decrepit 70 year old body.  It turned out to be a lot easier than I expected.  I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the simple pleasure of riding my bike.  I biked a total of 256 miles.  The total elevation I gained was 4,367'.  My average speed was just under 13 miles per hour.  What a wonderful journey!!!

'Nuff said!

    I would definitely do this again.  Or maybe I'll shoot for the 360 mile GAP/C&O Canal Trail or the 360 mile Erie Canal Trail.  Who's in? 

    Maps of the trip:

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6


Comments

  1. Congrats and Well Done! You covered the C2C in 5 days while it took me 8. Terrific posts and thanks for including the maps. As you know, we did side rides on rail trails to avoid the roads where the trail isn't comlete. BTW, I'm in for the GAP or Erie Canal Trail, just give me a few months notice so I can get in shape. I may be two years younger but you're a much better athlete than me. Although the last day involves a lot more activity on the trail, I was pleasantly surprised that the trails were so well maintained and separated from street traffic.
    http://captmurph.blogspot.com/2020/04/dunedin-st-pete-day-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading along. The GAP trail is still on our bucket list so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to see it end! Great adventure! What's your next adventure?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment